Searching for an engaging activity that your kids can enjoy with family and friends? Check out this list of strategy board games – perfect for your family game nights!
From an early age, children can benefit from playing strategy board games. Educational and engaging, they help kids to develop their skills in problem-solving, analysis, and the best strategy board games. These skills are essential to the development of young minds. They will serve them well throughout their lives, no matter their chosen field of endeavor.
Introducing your child to strategy board games is a great way to nurture these skills. With a suitable game, you can teach them about strategy and planning, all while enjoying some quality family time together.
Playing board games is more than just a fun activity; it’s also important for developing critical thinking skills in children. Unlike many video games that rely on luck or trial-and-error strategies as opposed to strategizing and planning ahead, great strategy board game and games offer real depth of play that require genuine problem-solving capabilities.
Additionally, kids who play board games tend to think about things more logically than those who don’t. They become better at recognizing patterns of behavior and formulating plans based on them which leads directly to increased creativity and innovation later in life as they have been exposed to higher-order cognitive skills than those not regularly playing board games.
Finally, playing board games should be considered an essential part of childhood for another reason: fun! Easy to pick up but hard to master, these cooperative board games provide hours of entertainment for any age. Kids won’t even know they’re learning while they play – which is probably the best way for any concept or skill set to take hold in someone’s mind!
Strategy board games will create lasting memories that your child will cherish long after growing up, so why not give them a go?
Check out the best strategy board games that are sure to be a hit for everybody:
King of Tokyo
Players: 2-6 | Age: 8+ | Game Time: 30 minutes
Are you looking for an exciting new strategy game for friends, family, or yourself? Look no further than the King of Tokyo. This strategic board game debuted in 2011 and is still among today’s most popular offerings. Let’s examine what makes the King of Tokyo so unique!
At its core, King of Tokyo is a dice-based game that heavily relies on strategic decision-making. The objective is to become “King” by buying cards (using energy resources), eliminating monsters, and gaining health points through rolling the dice. In addition to being highly engaging and fun, players have several options for customizing their experience – they can choose from different characters and move around the board as they, please.
How to Play:
- Each player starts with 10 health points and uses the energy resources they acquire to buy cards that give them special powers.
- Players take turns rolling dice to obtain their energy resources while also trying to eliminate other monsters.
- You can roll up to three times each turn and decide whether to keep your score or roll again.
- When you eliminate a monster, you immediately gain 5 health points. Otherwise, you lose 1 point for each monster in the same space as you at the end of your turn.
- If a player reaches 20 victory points or 0 health points first, that player wins!
Finally, its high replay value sets King of Tokyo apart from similar games. Whether you’re playing solo or with a group of friends (up to 6 people!), chances are that all games will be different, making this game perfect for those who enjoy trying out new strategies each time they play. It can get pretty intense, too – so come prepared!
If you’re looking for an exciting strategy game that’s never boring and packed with replay value – give King of Tokyo a try today!
Sequence for Kids
Players: 2-4 | Age: 3+ | Game Time:
Do you want the best strategy games for the family? Do you have a kid who loves board games? If so, they might enjoy playing the strategy game Sequence for Kids! The classic game has been reimagined for young players, providing them hours of fun and hands-on learning.
Sequence for Kids is designed to help children develop visual and cognitive skills. Players must identify patterns on their opponent’s cards to capture them. This requires focus, observation, and strategy – all essential skills to help kids in school and later life. In addition to teaching children these valuable lessons, the game encourages social interaction through turn-taking, cooperation, and friendly competition.
How to Play:
- Each player is dealt 7 cards, which they must keep secret.
- The remaining cards are placed in a pile face down in the middle of the table.
- With each turn, a player draws one card from the pile and chooses one to play.
- If the card matches any of their opponent’s cards, they can grab it by placing their hand on it and calling out its image or color.
- The winner is the player who collects all four of their opponents’ matching cards first.
One of the best things about Sequence for Kids is that older and younger kids can enjoy it. It’s easy enough for even the youngest players to get involved, yet challenging enough that older siblings also stand a chance at winning! Furthermore, the simple rules are easy to remember, making this a great way to introduce kids to board games and card games without overwhelming them.
Sequence for Kids is an exciting board game for children of all ages. It provides fun entertainment and teaches valuable life skills like observation and strategy – when doing homework or competing with friends or family!
Players: 2-4 | Age: 7+ | Game Time:
Battleship is a classic game of strategy and luck. It has been around for generations and remains a popular game choice for both young and old.
The game consists of two players, each with their battleships on an imaginary grid. Each player takes turns firing at the two other players with their ships, trying to sink all their opponents’ boats before the other player can sink theirs.
How to Play:
- Two players each have a distinct set of 5 ships to place on a board before play begins.
- The ships can be placed horizontally or vertically but must remain within the board boundaries.
- Players take turns guessing coordinates on the other player’s board to locate and sink their opponent’s ships.
- If a ship is hit, the player has another turn.
- The winner is the first one to identify and sink all of their opponent’s ships.
What makes this game so fun is that its rules are pretty simple, but its strategy is highly complex; each player needs to think about how they want to place their ships to avoid being hit as quickly as possible while also attempting to be able to find their opponent’s ships quickly enough. This creates an unpredictable yet exciting experience, as no two games play the same way!
For those looking for a classic yet engaging game, Battleship might be perfect. With simple rules that everyone can understand but enough complexity to ensure multiple entertaining games, it is no surprise why this title has remained so popular throughout the years!
Whether playing against your friends or yourself, you will undoubtedly have a great time playing this classic strategy game!
Players: 2 | Age: 6+ | Game Time: 10 minutes
Connect Four is a classic game that has been around for generations. It’s easy to learn but challenging to master. The game requires strategy and critical thinking skills, making it fun and challenging for players of all ages.
How to Play:
- Each player takes turns dropping colored discs into a grid of six rows and seven columns.
- To win the game, you must be the first to form a horizontal, vertical, or diagonal line of four discs of the same color.
- Players must think ahead and plan their moves carefully to try and outsmart their opponent.
- Disks cannot be placed in spaces already occupied by other pieces.
- The first player with four discs in a row wins the game!
Playing Connect Four can help sharpen your concentration skills as well as help foster problem-solving abilities. You must carefully analyze all possible moves to stay ahead of your opponent and ensure your pieces can win. It encourages tactical planning, which can benefit other aspects of life, such as public speaking or projects at work or school when you have to think several steps ahead to succeed.
Whether you consider yourself a serious strategic thinker or enjoy casual board games occasionally with friends or family, give Connect 4 Game a try!
You won’t regret playing this classic board game and family favorite!
Players: 2-6 | Age: 10+ | Game Time: 20 minutes
Plunder, an exciting board game full of pirates, adventure, and strategy, can be just the game you need to make your parties or family time more entertaining. It is a great way to fill some of your free time with silly fun and encourages players to think outside the box. At the same time, they navigate their way through the Caribbean seas in search of buried treasure.
How to Play:
- Choose one out of four ship classes (Frigate, Sloop, Brigantine, and Galleon) to become the Admiral of your team.
- Place all four boats on the ocean map of islands. The game board includes many resources like gold, gems, and spices.
- Roll two dice to move around the board and gain more resources by trading with ports or plundering other ships’ goods.
- Use special power-ups such as upgrading your hulls to stay afloat for more extended periods or researching distant lands before venturing off into uncharted waters.
- Face-off against another team in a battle for ultimate control over resources.
- Collect enough points to be declared the winner!
Plunder is easy to learn yet challenging to master as players devise strategies to help them win over their rivals—this can involve using power-ups such as upgrading their hulls if they want to stay afloat for extended periods or doing research about the distant lands before venturing off into uncharted waters. In addition, there are two sides (red and blue) in this game where captains from opposing teams face off against each other in a battle for ultimate control over all resources—this creates an intense but thrilling duel between both adversaries.
The most remarkable aspect of Plunder is its replay value, thanks to its strategic depth and unpredictability, no matter how many times you’ve played it already. There are always new strategies and twists since everyone will have slightly different methods when playing this strategic masterpiece. Ultimately, if you’re looking for a fun and intellectually stimulating game, look no further than Plunder!
Players: 2-4 | Age: 5+ | Game Time: 15-20 minutes
Do you love strategy games? If so, you’ll be excited to hear about Dragomino, the newest game from Blue Orange Games. This fun and challenging game takes Kingdomino to the next level. It is sure to provide hours of entertainment for gamers of all ages. With beautiful illustrations and exciting mechanics, this game will have you hooked!
How to Play:
- At the start of each turn, players select one random tile from their hand and place it on their “dragomina.”
- Players must strategically place their tiles to form complete lines alongside dragon dens to gain bonus points.
- Special bonus tiles can be collected, which grant extra points and help them reach their goal faster.
- Players add up their score once all dragon dens are completed (or after 6 rounds).
- Whoever has collected the most points wins!
For those who love strategy games requiring skillful planning and decision-making, Dragomino should be your ticket to ride your next purchase. This game requires creative thinking and encourages players to think independently while working together to achieve a common goal. Plus, gorgeous artistry throughout its design and abstract mechanics make it perfect for casual gamers and veterans alike!
So whether you’re on a game night, looking for an entertaining way for your family or friends to spend time together, or want something new for yourself, look no further than DRAGOMINO – A brilliant addition to any gaming night!
Players: 1-4 | Age: 8+ | Game Time: 30 minutes
Project L is a great way to spend a few hours with family and friends while enjoying a strategic board gaming experience. This game encourages fun and creative thinking as players battle it out to become the ultimate winner. The board game requires no special skills but encourages teamwork, cooperation, and problem-solving.
How to Play:
- Each player chooses an avatar in the form of one of the four characters in the game: Tico, Evano, Veracruz, and Epsilon.
- Players take turns maneuvering their character across the ever-changing playing field by rolling dice and strategically placing pieces on the board.
- As the play progresses, new obstacles and bonus cards may be used with other cards or characters to increase your chances of success.
- Players must use their creativity and strategy to navigate various difficulty levels to victory.
- If two or more players work together, they can create powerful strategies to give them an edge over their opponents.
- Some rule variations can be added or removed depending on the challenge you’re looking for.
The Project L Board Game has excellent replay value because no two games are ever exactly alike – it’s a unique gaming experience every time you play! Furthermore, some rule variations can be added or removed depending on the challenge you’re looking for. Whether you’re new to strategic boardgames or an experienced veteran looking for something new, this one has something everyone can enjoy!
So grab some friends or family and try the Project L Board Game? With its high production-quality components, exciting gameplay mechanics, and diverse cast of characters, there’s something here for everyone!
Unlock Kids’ Minds: 5 Benefits of Playing Strategy Board Games
Strategy board games can provide valuable lessons to children as they learn to think critically and develop social skills. These best board games encourage problem-solving, strategic thinking, hand-eye coordination, and fun for kids of all ages. Read on for five benefits of playing strategy board games for kids.
Playing strategy board games helps kids develop essential problem-solving skills such as critical thinking, planning, and analyzing options. These skills help kids in all aspects of life, from academics to relationships to finding solutions to everyday problems.
Developing a strategy for playing strategically is an integral part of any board game, requiring practice and thought. Kids must consider all the possible moves they can make and choose the one that will yield the best result. This kind of strategic thinking is essential for success in many different fields.
Board games require players to move pieces around on a board with their hands, which develops fine motor skills and hand-eye coordination. Kids need these essential skills to succeed at school and in other activities like sports and art projects.
Playing board games with friends or family encourages socialization. It creates a positive environment for conversation and connection among the players involved. It also helps children learn how to interact with others while still having fun!
Last but not least, playing strategy board games is just plain fun! It’s an activity that kids can enjoy together as a group or individually, giving them hours of entertainment while challenging their minds at the same time.
Playing strategy board games can be a great way to help children learn how to think ahead and strategize. The mental stimulation provided by these games also helps children develop problem-solving skills, critical thinking abilities, and greater focus and concentration. Not only do they provide educational benefits, but they are also fun activities that the whole family can participate in.
Playing strategy board games with your kids is a fun and rewarding activity with proven benefits for their cognitive development. These types of competitive strategy board games will not only help to build valuable life skills. Still, they can be a fun family activity that everyone can benefit from.
–In this blog, we talked about the strategy board game for kids including Sequence for Kids, Battleship, Connect 4, Dragomino, Project L, King of Tokyo and Plunder. Hit the comments and let us know which games you’d like to hear about!